Wednesday, February 08, 2006

"ChOro!"--significa CooL!

Every day I feel a little more comfortable here. After being passed up by the bus three times on Monday, I have decided to dedicate myself to walking to school. Its cheaper, better for me, and I have to leave just as early. I have been walking with a girl from UC Santa Cruz named Rachel who is awesome and “super-bacán.”

Today we were walking and were picked up by one of the spanish professors. It was precious because the husband was driving and he dropped us off and it was just nice to finally see a married couple in tact and in love! I swear, it is SO rare in this country. Divorce was just legalized a year ago…and yet EVERYONE is divorced or separated. Soooo wild.

My spanish class is going really well. Today marked the halfway point in our immersion program and then I have two weeks vacation and then REAL classes start. Yikes!

I don’t think I have told everyone this yet, but I have to move out of my house that I am living at right now because my family is having another exchange student move in from the states. Its kind of complicated to explain, but the bottom line is that there cant be two english speaking students living with the same family, and because they had already planned for this new girl to come, I have to go. Kinda shitty, BUTTTTT as of today I have a new place!!! It is in a “residencial” which is basically just a woman’s house that she has turned into a boarding house for international students. It has a GREAT location---very safe and right in the center of everything. I am next to the metro, so I can get to the other campuses without dealing with the crazy bus situation which will just get worse as people start getting back from summer vacation. It is also cheaper than staying here, which is always a good thing. Yay.

Today I went for my first run in the city. I know---Ive been here for two weeks and I just went on my first run. Pathetic, eh? I’ve been dying!! Anyway, the smog situation wasn’t as bad on my asthma as I had expected, but still a pretty heavy. I’ll work myself into it. I was the ONLY woman running though…and I passed a bunch of men…hell yeah.

Not much else to report. This weekend I take off for the “Norte Chico.” I really wanted to stick around here this weekend, but we are being sent away on an assignment for class. We have to go to a place and give an oral report to the group about where to stay, sights to see, places to eat, etc. My group is headed to La Serena, a beach resort about seven hours north of Santiago (by bus). It should be pretty awesome---apparently about an hour away are some really cool observatories that are internationally renowned, so I think we are going to check that out. I’m sure there will be a ton of pictures---I am getting better about bringing my camera everywhere now.

Lets see, I guess that is all for now. I’ve been having trouble with my internet connection, but I check my mail once a day, so keep me updated on your life/drama/annoyances/dreams/all that good stuff that makes me want to talk to you, cachai? (“okay?”—one of the most overused words in this country…along with “poh” which is short for “pues” which means “well” and in the context of every sentences NEVER makes sense, but is used anyway).

Okay…besitos to you all!

Chau chau,
Beth o.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home